(6) Evanston Block
Address: 629 North River Street
The Evanston Block displays a refined touch in proportion and design along with elements that suggest a neoclassical interpretation. Rooney, the architect, utilized (probably for the first time in the city) a stamp pressed tin cornice with dentils. Three sets of windows on the second story are encased with smooth-faced sandstone with quoins. Slightly projecting pilasters appear at the front faced corners with capitals. From the 1905 Hot Springs Star, the storefront was described as "all glass without piers making it a magnificent show window." In 1976 the National Trust Main Street Program provided a 50% grant and the Evanston was completely restored.