(23) Central Block

Built: 1905

Address: 329 North River Street

The Central Block utilizes both rock-faced sandstone and stamp metal for facing materials. A formed metal cornice has brackets and pommel roof cresting at the corners. The southwest corner entry has a compound, round arched opening resting on squat pilasters. The top portion shows a flared pediment with the date in the tympanum. Dentils and a curved name plaque appear below. Cast iron pilasters separate portions of the stone fronts. The building originally housed a bank and various retail operations.