(11) Minnekahta Block

Built: 1891

Address: 603 North River Street

Built by Fred Evans, the Minnekahta Block is the largest and one of the most ornate commercial buildings in Hot Springs. The details of the central bay highlight the embellishments. Two engaged, columnar, trim elements extend from the second level to the roof line with diagonal tool marks on each stone segment—a design element that appears elsewhere on the structure. A central round arch has checkerboard or "diaper" stone work. Roof cresting resembles miniature crenellation or battlements with coping. Dentils appear along the cornice and lug sills and lintels serve as the building's surrounds.

Across Fall River to the west of the Minnekahta Block is the Inn By the River. Sandstone that originally came from a sanitarium was incorporated into this modern building.